Sunday, July 14, 2013

Oct 17th, 2083 (dawn): I dreamt of buildings taller than the sky

I stayed up late into the night, scribbling down the events of the day.  Faces flashed through my mind, floating up into focus before sinking back into the swirling miasma of images.  A flash of inspiration hit and I wasted at least twenty pages sketching portraits of people I have already met along the way.  The melding of flesh and metal that was Anthony Morales.  Oar Ellis' wide-brimmed hat.  Charlie and his team of ornery horses.  Sam's sharp, fox-face shadowed by a battered cowboy hat.  I don't know how I managed to fall asleep, but eventually I must have.

I dreamt I was an architect.  I stood on the top floor of a building that stretched into the sky.  I couldn't see the ground, only clouds.  Occasionally flocks of birds would break the white expanse like a fish snapping at water-sliders.  I was a king, a God.  I was to be admired/worshipped/feared for breaking the laws of gravity.  No one knew the secret of my success, how I could create such towering buildings and make myself a kingdom above the clouds.

My crown grew heavy, weighted down by the burdens of my people.  I held court and they overwhelmed me in droves, tearing at my robes as they begged for my wisdom.  I scaled countless flights of stairs to the top of the tallest building.  Out there on the roof, I stretched my hand out to the Moon, but She turned Her back on me.  I grasped at Her, my fingertips brushing the cool skin of Her back in a lover's caress.

I tripped.  I plummeted down through the atmosphere, the air rushing past my face until I was surrounded by a corona of fire.  Like a comet, I streaked across the sky, watching as the world which had been so far distant drew closer at frightening speeds.  The people I knew as a mere mortal stared with open mouths as I burned from my own glory.

A fluttering of rags and my father caught me in strong arms.  I woke up tangled in threadbare sheets, the brief touch of the Moon still tingling on my fingertips.  The images which seemed so clear moments before are quickly fading in the cool light of dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment